Wrexham & District – Transport – Horse-drawn to Trams
Horse-drawn Carriages to Electric Trams
The following is an extract from the slideshow talks previously held by the late Glynn Jones. This is the first batch of slides scanned from approx 600 from his collection. We are extremely grateful to Glynn Jones’s daughter for donating these to our collection. All captions are from Glynn’s original notes which accompanied the slide collection.
Wrexham like most places has quite a history as regards its transport – this is a light-hearted look at some of the transport systems used in the area from the late 1800s onwards.
In 1898 the original tram company was taken over by “Drake & Gorman” Electric Power & Traction”, who gave noticed that they planned to electrify the tramway. This company was in turn taken over in 1900 by B.E.T. (British Electric Traction), they renamed it “The Wrexham & District Electric Traction co Ltd”. In 1901 the route was extended to the “Turf Hotel”
Above: One of the remaining electricity poles.
Above: Traces of the tram lines long after they were replaced by buses.
Above: The last electric tram left the “Turf” on Saturday 30th March 1927 at around 11pm. The driver was Mr. Albert Davies.
WILLIAM GEORGE STERRETT was born in Monmouthshire in 1872, his father was a tin plate worker from Scotland. Changing his name to Willis , he moved to Gloucestershire where he found work as a whitesmith [more]
The area once known as the bomb site has quite a history, it was bounded by Queen Street, Henblas Street, Chester Street & Lambpit Street. This is not just about the old Market, a lot of other buildings have [more]