The following is an extract from the slideshow talks previously held by the late Glynn Jones. This is the second batch of slides scanned from approx 600 from his collection. We are extremely grateful to Glynn Jones’s daughter for donating these to our collection. All captions are from Glynn’s original notes which accompanied the slide collection.
In 1912 the tramway company extended operation by opening a bus service from Brook Street to the “Prince of Wales” pub in Coedpoeth (later known as the Red Lion).They used a single deck Daimler painted the same colour as the trams, Red and Cream. They then changed the company name to “Wrexham & District Transport Co Ltd”. But in 1914 all the buses were requisitioned for the war effort.
One story attached to the G.W.R. buses regards advertising, all the trams carried adverts and the buses done the same, but, they carried adverts for whisky & gin which the chapels took offence to and urged their members to boycott the buses and use the trams instead, most of the miners obeyed this, which illustrates the power the chapels once had.
These are some of the smaller bus companies which existed from the 1920s.
Source of slides and text (late) Glynn Jones. Copyright remains with the original photographer.