The New Pedlars Market 1880


Some time since we noticed in these columns the completion of the new Vegetable Market by the contractor, Mr W. E. Samuel, and we have now had an opportunity of visiting the new Pedlars’ Market, which is rapidly approaching completion. The frontage of this market is towards Henblas street and lies a good characteristic appearance of market designing.

It is built of pressed red brick, broken up at intervals throughout the length of the frontage by piers forming ornamental panels, having opening in centre for circular casement windows, with terracotta moulded jambs, finished with pediment above composed of moulded stone cornice, with foliated terracotta panels. There are three entrances to this market, the principal approach being through a massive semicircular arch of handsome brickwork, having ornamental wrought-iron gates. The interior of the market has a lofty and elegant appearance, with its ornamental circular roof supported on massive east iron octagon columns, with moulded bases and foliated capitals.

The ends of the roof being filled in with ornamental iron screens. )n the top of the roof are framed a range of ventilating louvre boards on each side, running the whole length of the roof, thus giving a sufficient amount of ventilation so important for buildings of this character. The roof is glazed with rough plate glass on Rendle’s patent system of glazing. The sides and one end of the building are divided into shops and warehouses, and are all enclosed by patent revolving shutters. The centre portion of the area is fitted up with slate tables for the butter market, which is expected to be opened next week, the other portion of the area being fitted up for the poultry market, which has a separate entrance from Henblas street. The floor is formed of concrete, having a Portland cement surface, which gives it a durable and cleanly appearance. The building was designed by Mr James Stevens, F.R.I.B.A., architect, Manchester; the red facing brick and terra cotta work being supplied by Mr J. C. Edwards, from his Penybont works near Ruabon the contractor being Mr W. E. Samuel, Wrexham. We understand that Mr Samuel is now going to commence the extension of the present Butchers’ Market, by adding to it the whole of the area occupied by the existing Pedlars market, so as to form, when completed, one large and commodious meat market.


Wrexham and Denbighshire Advertiser and Cheshire Shropshire and North Wales Register

13th March 1880


Total Page Visits: 2229 - Today Page Visits: 1