As it was!

Beyond the Beast Market

The streets off the Beast Market were home to a cluttered mix of housing, trade and industry. Behind Charles Street were the corporation’s original slaughterhouses, later replaced by new premises off Holt Road and the [more]

As it was!

New Wrexham Fairs

The northern side of Beast Market Street was still farmland when Norden made his survey in 1620. The town developed this way in the 17th and 18th centuries. The thatched building, with the dormer windows, [more]

As it was!

Wrexham Fire Brigade est. 1852

Fire was a major risk in all towns. The parish church was seriously damaged by fire in 1463 and Wrexham’s ‘great fire’ caused more damage in 1643. The first fire brigades were established in the [more]

News

Wrexham – In Memoriam

After six years of detailed and painstaking research, the Friends of Wrexham Museums are proud to publish: Wrexham – In Memoriam 1914-18. Their 493 page illustrated soft-back book tells the stories of the over 600 [more]

As it was!

Cobden Mill Enamelled Matchbox

The illustration on this enamelled match box is of Cobden Mill on Watery Road adjacent to the railway line in Wrexham. The mill was built after the repeal of the Corn Laws in 1846 and [more]

Wartime

Annie and Lily FRASER

Annie and Lily Fraser, two sisters, who originally grew up on Holt Street, both joined the Scottish Women’s Hospital during the First World War. They served alongside a nurse called Florence Caton, whose grandparents had [more]