The New Broughton Colliery was sunk by Thomas Clayton, of Brynmally Hall, in 1883 and was his most profitable venture. It remained in his possession until the turn of the century when it was taken [more]
Photographs of remnants at the Bersham Colliery site from a visit on 3rd August 2013. Source: Photographs by Graham Lloyd.
Mine Workers getting on public transport in 1938. Broad Street, Rhos, Wrexham. Source: NWNMedia
On the 12th October 1990 Colin Gibbs along with others presented a cheque to the Miners Convalescent Home in Blackpool for the amount of £1539.02 In attendance at the presentation were the following: (L-R:) Ted [more]
Gresford Colliery, the last piece standing. Gresford Colliery closed on economic grounds in November 1973. In the 1980s the site was redeveloped as an industrial estate. In 1982 a memorial to the victims of the [more]
Under the winding gear at Bersham Colliery 2015 Pictures taken 26th April 2015 by Graham Lloyd Song: Do it the safety way by Max Bygraves and the Grimthorpe Colliery Band.
An interview at Calon FM in April 2014 with Alan & Margaret Jones of NWMAT Source: Interview recorded at Calon FM Studio; this compilation compiled by Wrexham History; Graham Lloyd.
The Llay Main Colliery was one of the largest and the most modern colliery in the North Wales coalfield. Sinking had begun in December 1914 and completed in the summer of 1916. It employed 2,600 [more]
The colliery was the property of Thomas Clayton with Mr. Frederick Hutchinson as the certificated manager of the Pendwill Pit of the Brynmally Colliery. The Pits were known as the Nos. 1 and 3 and [more]