Hope Street

Black Lion Vaults, Hope Street, Wrexham

27 Hope Street, Wrexham. The first reference to the Black Lion was recorded in 1770, it appears in the 1833 survey and again in the1872 survey. On 18th July 1895 David Dobie, an employee of [more]

Articles

WILLIAM TURNER 1837 – 1879 Architect

As the name Haighton runs through the Turner family then it`s almost certain that this is William`s father. Baptism on 23 Aug 1811 at Brackley, Northamptonshire. Richard Haighton Turner, parents Edward & Mary. Richard made [more] [more]

70s

Hope Street, Wrexham 1971

This drawing is by an artist in training at Wrexham Art College in 1971, this was kindly supplied by Margaret Hayes of Wrexham, who in 1971 paid £20 for two original prints from the then [more]

Central Arcade
Hope Street

Historic Central Arcade gets new signage

Built in 1891 the Grade II listed Central Arcade received much needed TLC to it’s entrance from Hope Street, the work was completed on 1st November. “Town Centre Management team has worked in partnership with [more]

Interior Walter Roberts store
20s

Interior of Walter Roberts store 1924

The interior of Walter Roberts store on Hope Street, Wrexham. Taken in 1924 leaning against the counter on the right is Tommy Dougall, brother of Kathy Dougall. Source: Pic supplied by Geoff Wilding.

Hope Street, Wrexham 1933
30s

Hope Street, Wrexham 1933

Hope Street, Wrexham 1933. Showing part of the old Town Hall, demolished in 1939, at the same time as the Hand Inn. In the right foreground is a lorry belonging to G.F. and A. Brown, [more]

Gorsedd Procession 1912
1910s

The Gorsedd Procession 1912

The Gorsedd Procession 1912. Pictured in Hope Street, the Gorsedd Procession makes it’s way to the Eisteddfod site. The shops of H.T. Jones and J. Hughes were later occupied by Woolworths, Martins and then John [more]

Hope Street, Wrexham 1927
20s

Hope Street, Wrexham 1927

Hope Street, Wrexham 1927. Looking towards the former Talbot buildings, Hope Street continues to the left and Queen Street, goes off to the right. Many may recall the stores of Oliver’s, Francis the Chemist, Hunter’s [more]