Chirk

Brynkinalt Colliery, Chirk

Sunk during the 1860s by a Mr Blakewell, an eminent mining engineer, who owned the Brynkinallt Coal Co Ltd.  The mine was purchased in 1893 by Mr William Young Craig (formerly the MP for North [more]

Stiwt
Cinema & Theatre

Stiwt Theatre – Rhosllanerchrugog

The Stiwt Theatre. Formerly the “Miner’s Institute” (Plas Mwynwyr), which was built in 1926 and dominated the social and cultural life of the village until 1977 when it closed. The local council, which had purchased [more]

Wynnstay Colliery
Coal Mining

Wynnstay Colliery, Ruabon

Wynnstay Colliery, Ruabon Wynnstay Colliery or The Green Pit. Ruabon. The New British Iron Company owned the colliery.  The workings were ventilated by a split of the air at the extremity of the horse road [more]