Brynkinalt Colliery, Chirk

Sunk during the 1860s by a Mr Blakewell, an eminent mining engineer, who owned the Brynkinallt Coal Co Ltd.  The mine was purchased in 1893 by Mr William Young Craig (formerly the MP for North [more]


Chirk Reserves Football Team 1965

Front (L-R) Ken Roberts, Winston Williams, Graham Williams, Barry Evans and Melvyn Morris. Back (L-R) Jack Nash (trainer), Jim Clark, Eric Pugh, Ivor Roberts, Alan Roberts, Mike Rogers, Geoff Lloyd and Len Lloyd(committee member). Source: [more]

Pentre War Memorial
War Memorials

Pentre Chirk War Memorial

Pentre War Memorial commemorates those local people who died in two world wars. The memorial is located beside the Newbridge to Chirk road at Pentre. Sources: Pentre Chirk War Memorial; photographs by Graham Lloyd. Back [more] [more]

Black Park Colliery

Black Park Colliery, Chirk

Black Park Colliery was believed to be one of the oldest collieries in North Wales, thought to date back to at least 1653. It extracted coal from the following seams; Main, Two Yard, Yard and [more]


Murder at Chirk (1855)

In 1854, Margaret Davies, an unmarried 22 year old, was an inmate at the Corwen workhouse. On the 15th December 1854, whilst she was still a resident at the workhouse, Margaret Davies gave birth to [more]

Chirk Mill 1909

Chirk Mill 1909

Chirk Mill 1909. Chirk Mill was one of the dozen or so watermills in use at one time along the banks of the River Ceiriog, the site was used to grind corn as early as [more]

Chirk Village 1908

Chirk Village 1908

Chirk Village 1908. The village is known as Y Waun(Moorland) in welsh. Once owned by the Myddelton family, the village was sold by auction in 1911 just a short time after this postcard.  

Chirk Viaduct Open Day 1988

Dee Viaduct Open Day 1988

Dee Viaduct Open Day 1988. Were you amongst the many thousands who attended the open day? Built by Edmund Nuttall Ltd, construction started in 1987 and was completed in 1990, it opened for first use [more]