St. Marys Church, Brymbo.
In 1869 plans were set in motion for the building of a new church to replace St Johns’ Welsh church built in 1837 and consecrated on July 31st, 1838 but it was built on a fault. Subsidence took place and it fell into ruin. To replace it St Mary’s was built in 1871, and consecrated on September 10th, 1872.
The foundation stone was laid by the Marquis of Westminster on August 15th, 1871 [St Johns’ church was later rebuilt in 1891 but demolished in the early part of the nineteen eighties again due to subsidence.]
St Mary’s was built by a Mr. J Roberts of Chester and designed by Mr. T H Wyatt. It consists of:
A rectangular nave with single lancet widows, with mini transepts to the north and south. An East chancel with semi-circular apse, north and south vestries and south porch,
In addition: A double bell cote is located over the chancel arch. The central window of the chancel was the gift of the architect T H Wyatt the other four were placed in memory of Robert Roy of Brymbo Hall by his widow Mary.
The lectern an eagle carved in oak was presented by the congregation to commemorate the completion of 25 years’ service by the then vicar Rev William Jones.
The font which is wrought in stone from the moss quarry was a gift from the contractor Mr. J Roberts. The first organ was built by Hewins of Stratford on Avon and was installed in 1889 this was replaced in 1916 with one manufactured by Messrs Rushden Draper this is still in service.
The pulpit is also a memorium gift by the Roy family of Brymbo Hall.
The roof of the chancel is pitch pine laid diagonally, with a tiled floor which was renewed in 1916 with tiles which were acquired from Wrexham parish church.
A credence stands on the north side of the chancel and Three stone seats known as a ‘triple sedilia’ on the south at the same time a beautiful oak chancel screen was installed and reredos at the altar.
A set of doors from Eaton Hall were installed in 1961 they were acquired by the Rev D Saunders Davies.
A stained-glass window was inserted in the south part of the church by Cor Meibon Brymbo Choir in the year 2000 to commemorate the re founding of the choir by members of the then church choir.
More recently the north transept has been enclosed by a full height glass screen and converted into a side chapel in 2012. It is used for services during the winter months it has been fully carpeted with comfortable seating.
There have been seventeen vicars of St Mary’s all have lived in the vicarage other than the last one.
The vicarage was sold off prior to his appointment as the incumbent of the benefice. Now in 2017 Brymbo church is 145 old. It is starting to show its age, but with the commitment of the congregation it should exist for a few more years yet.
Sources: St. Mary’s Church profile 2014; All images Graham Lloyd.