St. Johns Parish Church, Rhos
Church of St John Evangelist. A grade II listed building, built in 1852 and consecrated on 4 October 1853. A good example of a Romanesque Revival church, it is Norman style, with coursed and squared sandstone and slate roofs. It has a cruciform plan with nave, transept and chancel and bell tower in angle of the south transept and chancel.
The Grade II listed building was built in 1852 and consecrated on 4 October 1853. A good example of a Romanesque Revival church, it is Norman style, with coursed and squared sandstone and slate roofs. It has a cruciform plan with nave, transept and chancel and bell tower in angle of the south transept and chancel.
Rhos had 3 Churches and 19 Chapels (including the Salvation Army). Due to dwindling congregations and the need to find £300,000 for repairs to the fabric of the church St. John’s, which was the parish church, had to close in 2005; this was on the advice of the then bishop. The English congregation of St. John’s joined with St. Mary’s and the Welsh congregation joined with St. David’s. Both St. David’s and St. Mary’s meet together to hold bilingual services at various times in the year.
The building still appears to be in good condition.
St.John’s Parish Church is situated next to the main cemetery, although this is not accessible directly.There are gravestones in the church grounds which are unique being of Slate.
In September 2006, letters were sent by Rhos Community Council to relatives of people buried in the Rhos cemetery, where former Miss World Rosemarie Frankland is buried, asking them to limit the number of floral tributes left at grave sites. The council reportedly planned to cover the cemetery with a lawn and feared that such tributes would breach health and safety rules. Feeling that the council had handled the issue insensitively, relatives collected an 850-signature petition and 60 families made a public protest.
A grade II listed building, built in 1852, closed 2005.
Revisited June 2013.
Wrexham History were given exclusive access to the church on the day the new owner unlocked the doors for the first time in 10 years.
Many thanks to Andrew, the owner for allowing me to take these pictures. Pictures taken on 8th June 2013
We have recently revisited the church, but very little work has been done to convert the church to residential use.
Work has now started on the conversion to residential use.
The following pictures were taken on a site visit on 8th June 2013 by Graham Lloyd.