ROC Monitoring Post Brymbo
Since its inception in 1925 as in integral part of the UK air defence system, the primary role of the Royal Observer Corps (ROC) was the recognition and identification of hostile aircraft.
ROC Monitoring Post – Brymbo (SJ28475320)
Opened October 1960 and closed September 1991
Located on a low mound amongst mine spoil heaps, 20 yards north of Brymbo Road.
The corner compound fence posts still stand. All surface features remain intact with some flaking of the green paint. The hatch has been badly damaged by people trying to break in and although the padlocks have been cut off it is still locked internally but can be opened with a **** key. Internally much remains including table, shelf, cupboard, two short bench seats, small rack of shelves, battery box, kettle, shovel head, BPI mount, FSM mount with a plastic cover, weather chart, some papers and posters. There is also a ‘Goodbye’ card pinned to the wall signed by all the observers manning the post at stand down.
There are no surface buildings.
Source: http://www.subbrit.org.uk & http://owensaw.homestead.com