RICHARD PHENNAH 1835 – 1907

by Annette Edwards

Richard was born 14 April 1835 and baptised at Adwy Clawydd Calvanistic Chapel, he was the son of Thomas Phennah a tailor and Anne Hughes.

Richard was in Hulme, Manchester for a while working as a cabinet maker.  He returned to Wrexham and in October 1864 he married Eleanor Brade at Hill Street Presbyterian Church.   Eleanor`s father was from Liverpool but had moved to Wrexham, he was at first a shoemaker and later a proprietor of houses.

The couple moved to Coedpoeth and lived at Brynheulog, where Richard was a joiner and builder. James Brade his father in law was there on the 1871 census night, he is described as a gentleman. James died in 1875.

In November 1877 panes of glass were stolen from Wrexham Cemetery, Richard was the contractor for the erection of the greenhouse there.

Richard had  formed a firm known as Phennah and Davies which built many walls, roads and buildings in the area including the Ruabon Road cemetery wall, the Bersham Boys’ and Girls’ schools, a bridge at Hafod Old Tollhouse and the churches at Penycae, Esclusham and Bwlchgwyn.

Richard stayed in Coedpoeth for quite a while, but Elleanor died at Brynheulog two days before Christmas in 1884.

Richard married again in 1885 at Chorlton to Jane Jones

The couple lived in “Woodlands” on Chester Road and by this time Richard was the Rural Sanitary Inspector, he remained in this position until at least 1901.

Wrexham Cemetery 16/04/2018

Researched by Annette Edwards. July 2018. Photograph by Graham Lloyd.


PHENNAH RICHARD. 72 WOODLANDS 6385 27/03/1907 02021

PHENNAH JANE. 80 WOODLANDS CHESTER ROAD 10982 21/03/1919 02021


Grave no: G-02021