John Pijski was born in Stanisław Górny, not far from Wadowice. He fought with gen. Anders’ Polish 2nd Corps (2nd. Warsaw Armoured Division) alongside the British 8th Army in Italy. Later he served in Germany and France. He came to the UK in 1946 with the army and was sent to Penley Hospital where he worked in the transport department as a driver. He met and married Władysława (Gladys) Gruca who was in the ATS and worked as a waitress in the staff cafeteria for doctors and nurses. They had two children while living in Penley. In 1952 they sailed aboard the “Queen Elizabeth” to the USA in search of a better life. John now lives in Connecticut and sent in the following photos of his time in Penley Polish Hospital.
For further information about PENLEY, LLANERCH PANNA and ISCOYD PARK Polish Hospitals click here.
There are 2 books with further information and photos “A Millennium History of Penley” and ” The Spirit of Penley ” both written by Shirley and Derrick Pratt. Also “Penley A History of the Polish Hospital in Pictures 1946-1999” written by Keith B. Jones.
Wrexham has historically been home to a major barracks known locally as the Hightown barracks, which was headquarters to the Royal Welch Fusiliers until it merged with the Royal Welsh as 1st Battalion in 2006 [more]
Beechley House, Kings Mills Road, Hightown. 10 of the 12 American GI’s (General Issue) Soldiers, billeted for a short while at Beechley House during the 2nd World War. Two of the soldiers were on duty [more]
ROC Llangollen The ROC at Llangollen opened in July 1958 and closed September 1991 after being stood down. It is in L shaped compound on hilltop overlooking Llangollen to the South, 100 yards North of [more]