Kerrison & Son, gunsmiths’ and naturalists, Charles Street

Beginners' Guide to the History of Wrexham

On the south side of Charles Street at No.16, Kerrison & Son, gunsmiths’ and naturalists, kept their window shoppers entertained with their displays of taxidermy. At No.18 Alfred and James Fletcher were cobblers. Their shop remained open until the early Noughties and was the last clog makers in Wrexham. William Henry Brookes at No.20 was a music instrument and fishing tackle dealer, an unlikely combination so typical of 19th century retail. Sam Southern at No. 21 specialized in house furniture and iron & wire fencing.

Picture: Pine Marten and its prey, a rare survivor from Kerrison and Sons’ taxidermy. The original Borough Council museum room in the old library had more taxidermy, but they didn’t survive being stored in the former Penadur mineral water works during WWII.

Image courtesy of Wrexham Museum.

Source: Wrexham Museum.

Total Page Visits: 1149 - Today Page Visits: 2