Havelock Square off Salop Road

Havelock Square, Salop Road

Havelock Square was of poor quality housing, with the only access being via an alley from Salop Road. There were six houses in total, although by the 1911 Census more had been added or original houses sub-divided, which were all demolished in 1938 as part of Wrexham Council slum clearance program.

Havelock Square, Salop Road
Havelock Square off Salop Road showing the location of the enamelled sign. Just visible in the background is the Cambrian Leather works.

The enamelled sign that was once affixed to a property in Havelock Square.

Occupiers and occupations according to the 1911 Census.

No:1. Edward Davies (46) a leather worker; his wife Elinor (63) and a boarder Charles Jones (26) a general labourer. All living in four rooms.

No:2. Thomas Davies (62) a gardener’s labourer; his wife Harriet (54) and sons John (30) a furniture salesman, Charles (22) who was an invalid. All living in three rooms.

No:3. Fredrick Hayes (40) a leather worker; his wife Elizabeth (31); son Fredrick (7) at school; daughter Mary (5) at school; and daughter Sarah (2). All living in four rooms.

No:4. Robert Williams (40) a colliery stoker; his wife Ruth (34); son William Owen (12) at school; daughter Catherine (7) at school; and daughter Ellin (6m). All living in four rooms.

No:5. Mathias Davies (46) a leather dresser; his wife Jane (38); son John (18) also a leather dresser; daughter Mary Ellen (14) at school; daughter Jane (6); daughter Alice (3); daughter Sarah Ann (2); and son Mathias (7m). Living in four rooms.

No:6. Thomas Buske (52) a general labourer; daughter Emma (18) a leather worker; daughter Catherine (17) also a leather worker; and son Thomas (13) at school. Living in three rooms.

No:7. Ralph Fisher (28) a general labourer; his wife Sarah (23); daughter Amelia (2); daughter Jane (10m). All living in three rooms.

No:8. Thomas Hilliard (42) a fish mongers hawker; his wife Elizabeth (34); daughter Nellie (11) at school; and son Arthur Tilston (3). All living in two rooms.

No:9. Edward Fisher (37) a bricklayers labourer; his wife Margaret (37); daughter Sarah Ellen (16) a leather trade worker; son John William (14) at school; son Edward Redvers (11) at school; son Richard James (8) at school. All living in four rooms.

Source: Sign is in Wrexham History Collection; Wrexham Musical Theatre Society; Encyclopeadia of Wrexham p162. Census 1911.


As reported in the Wrexham and Denbighshire Advertiser and the Cheshire, Shropshire and North Wales Register 26th June 1875.

An inquest was held at the Bridge House Inn, on Saturday, before Mr. Thelwall, coroner, on the body of Thomas Maddocks, aged 63, a Labourer of Havelock Square, the man who yesterday week committed suicide by cutting his throat with a razor.

After the jury (of which Mr. N. S. Scotcher was foreman) had viewed the body, the following evidence was given:

Emma Maddocks, granddaughter of the deceased, stated that her grandfather had worked for Mr. J. Lewis, Beechley, but he had not been at work for five weeks in consequence of illness. He and witness were the only persons living in the house. On Friday morning, he scarcely spoke to her and hung down his head.

About twelve o’clock, whilst she was scouring the stairs she saw his handkerchief and hat on the table. After looking round, she cried “Father “and she heard someone say in a muffled voice, “What?”

She screamed, thinking that her grandfather was hanging. A neighbour came in and on opening the door of the back room they saw the deceased covered with blood. All she heard him say afterwards was, “Oh, Emma!” He had been in a low state since Christmas.

In answer to Inspector Wilde, the witness said she had not spoken with him on the morning of his death. She searched his pockets after the deed, and what she took out of them she gave to her uncle. At that time, he was not dead. She wanted some money to send for her aunt and mother. She looked first in the box where he usually kept the money, but she could find any and she then went to his pockets.

She did not know how much she took. She gave up 31s. Her uncle subsequently told her that she had taken about £2. There was £1 10s in gold.

Catherine Curlett, a married woman, living in the same square, said she saw Mr. Lewis talking to the deceased in the morning. The deceased went out of his house in his shirt sleeves to speak to Mr. Lewis.

The deceased said he was going to leave the neighbourhood on Monday, but Mr. Lewis persuaded him to try to work again at his place and the deceased agreed to do so. He walked to the top of the yard with Mr. Lewis and as he returned he told his granddaughter that he was going to try to work.

She in reply said he was an old fool and was not able to go to work for anyone. She told him that he must not go to work to make fools of people and that he must leave the neighbourhood with her. About twelve o’clock the witness heard the girl screaming. The witness went to ascertain the cause and afterwards she went into the back room and saw the deceased lying on his face.

At that time, she was not aware his throat was cut. Two men subsequently dragged him into the kitchen, when it was found that his threat was cut. A doctor was sent for. The witness saw the girl take the money out of his pockets. His mind did not seem to be affected.

Inspector Wilde said he received information of what had occurred at ten minutes past twelve. He found deceased lying on the kitchen floor, Dr. Davies afterwards came and examined him. There was a great gash on the right side of his throat. The witness found a quantity of blood in the back room and upon the ground was the razor (produced) opened and covered with blood. The witness believed that deceased told his granddaughter several times that he would do what he had done. The deceased had been unable to work and had been in receipt of relief from an odd-fellows’ club.

The witness had seen Mr. Lewis, who said he had called on the deceased in the morning and at that time he appeared to be in a low way. Mr. Lewis tried to induce him to resume work in his garden. His mind seemed to be affected. The deceased had complained that his heart was not in the right place. The witness had found in the deceased’s cash box a bank book, showing that he had £17 10s in the Savings’ Bank.

The jury returned a verdict that the deceased committed suicide whilst temporary insane.

Sources: Wrexham and Denbighshire Advertiser and the Cheshire, Shropshire and North Wales Register 26th June 1875.

Total Page Visits: 1856 - Today Page Visits: 1