The Hand Inn was located at the Abbot Street end of the Shire Hall, later the Town Hall. There has been a building on this site as early as the 17th Century. On some carved beams found at the site were symbols of both the Crown and the Church which suggests that at various times both had an interest in the property. The town Hall and the Hand Inn were both demolished in 1939 to make way for road improvements.
Some of the names associated with the Hand Inn are:
Mary Ann Bate.*
Oliver Joseph Kinsley.*
*For further information visit Gravestones.info. Registration required to view record details.