Wayside station on the former Wrexham, Mold and Connah’s Quay Railway line between Shotton and Wrexham. Opened with the line in 1866, it was renamed Gwersyllt in 1959.
The station is 3.5 km (2¼ miles) north of Wrexham Central on the Borderlands Line and was opened in 1866. The station used to have a signal box at the northern end of the Bidston-bound platform. A short distance to the south a goods-only branch line (part of the North Wales Mineral Railway network, to Brymbo) crossed the route and the abutments of the bridge it utilised still survive (along with a dip in the track formation). One of the line’s main engineering features, the five arch stone viaduct over the River Cegidog is situated on this stretch of the line, but to the north of the station.
Sources: Coflien; Wikipedia.