Gatewen Colliery opened in 1877, the pit belonged to the Broughton and Plas Power Coal Company. In 1914 the number of men employed here was 816 (696 underground and 120 surface workers). The mine had a very restricted take or working area. The workings were all south east of the shafts and extended to the gates of Erddig Park. The mine closed in 1932 and, when the Bersham Colliery’s wooden headgear was destroyed by fire, it was replaced by the steel trellis headgear from Gatewen.