Most large country house of Erddig’s age had their own chapel.
The Erddig Chapel is first mentioned by John Loveday, a visitor to Erddig in 1726. He noted in his diary: ‘The Chapel is not quite finished, ye pews &c of Oak’.
Lousa, before her marriageto Philip II, admired the dignified way in which he held the services. Everyone was expected to attend the 9 am service including family, staff and visitors. The family entered through one door and sat in the upper pew and staff, led by the housekeeper, went in through the other door ans sat in the lower pews.
The organ pipes were only for decoration, Mr Yorke played the harmonium which was below them.
The stained glass windows were installed as a thanks-giving for the birth of Simon (1903) and Philip (1905), the last of the Yorkes.
Source: Graham Lloyd; National Trust.
To read more about Erddig Hall click here.