One of three Lodges to Emral Hall (demolished 1936); one of the other lodges has been demolished and the third altered. Possible C18 origins but the dominant character is C19. Said to have initially been re-modelled at the time of Richard Puleston’s ascendancy to the Baronetcy in 1813. Sold as one of twenty-eight lots of the former Emral Hall estate of Crawshaw Wellington Puleston to Mr J Broad in 1916. Extension dated 1991.
Two storey red brick with stone dressings under slate roof. L-plan. Building constructed in three phases, original phase of C18 is square two-storey lodge with heavy stone quoins on stone base, with open porch to south elevation with heavy stone quoins and four-centred arched opening to C19 nailed door. Distinctive Flemish gables with stone copings. Rectangular stone mullioned windows under stone drip-moulds to first floor. Two-light square-paned leaded window to south and east, three-light square-paned leaded window to the west, the central light of which is stepped-up. Stone mullioned and transomed splayed bay window beneath. East window to ground floor is two-light with mullion and transom. At corners of C18 lodge heavy stone finials and pendentives with foliage carving to pendentive. Early/mid C19 extension to north with two-light square-paned leaded stone mullioned window to ground floor, fronted with pointed Flemish gable containing three-light stone mullioned window. Carved decorative stone enrichment added C19 ie stone finials to top of gables, semi-circular pediment to bay window, and porch. The parapet to the porch retains the Puleston coat-of-arms. To the east a two-storey extension of 1991 with date stone inscribed “EPB 1991” set in Flemish-style gable with stone finial under yellow brick coping.