Ice House to rear of North Stable Block at Emral Hall.
Built as an ice-house for Emral Hall (1724-27) designed by Richard Trubshaw and Joseph Evans and may be contemporary with the surviving stable blocks which were built 1730-35. Emral Hall was demolished in 1936.
Set within a small man made mound the icehouse has a 2.7m north facing passage which leads to a 3.2m diameter egg-shaped chamber with a modern concrete floor.
16 November 1962 the Icehouse was listed Grade II as a scarce intact example of an 18th century icehouse, and for group value with the stable blocks at Emral Hall. Built of red-brick, circular in plan with domed ceiling and tapering section. Later the retaining walls to entrance with modern flat roof were added.
The following pictures show the icehouse on 12th August 2006 before the entrance was renovated.
Thanks to Julie Broad of Emral Gardens Touring Caravan Park for kindly suppling the above pictures.
Sources: Julie Broad – Emral Gardens Touring Caravan Park; Coflein; Wrexham History.