Eagle Foundry, Tuttle Street, Wrexham.
Messrs. Cudworth and Johnson, Engineers and Millwrights, Iron and Brass Founders.
The large amount of machinery used in the various industries carried on in and around Wrexham, rendered engineering an important factor in the resources of the district. The Eagle Foundry and Engineering Works in Tuttle Street had for many years formed a centre of industry in this line and in 1907 the trade was well supported by colliery engineers, road contractors, civil engineers, builders, etc.
The business was established about 1880 and was carried on with success by Mr. Chadwick up to the year 1884, when it passed into the hands of the new proprietors, Messrs. Cudworth and Johnson, who had shown steady enterprise in developing the resources of the business.
The partners were both practical engineers, with a long experience and personally supervised all the aspects of the work, so that they could guarantee all their productions, both as to sound material and reliable workmanship.
The premises were situated close to the Parish Church of Wrexham. In front of the works was the weighbridge and close by, the compact office of the firm. Adjoining the office, a large gateway entrance led into the central yard, where visitors were confronted with great heaps of old scrap iron, implements, boilers, engines, etc. some of which were awaiting repairs and others destined for melting down to be reconverted into useful appliances of one kind or another.
In the foundries both iron and brass castings were made and well-equipped smithies, fitting shops, erecting sheds and various workshops were provided, where moulding, turning, punching, slotting, cutting and all the various operations were carried on with the aid of improved steam machinery, the power being supplied to the premises by a well-constructed twelve horse-power engine.
There were about forty expert workmen employed and the making and repairing of engines, boilers, colliery gear, loco engines for roads and mines and similar appliances were carried on briskly under constant supervision. Every part of the work was carefully inspected by one or other of the partners before leaving the premises, so that it was difficult, if not impossible, for any inferior or defective work to escape detection.
Messrs. Cudworth and Johnson were well known in the Wrexham district and would also do a large trade in clay mills, pulleys, water wheels, turn tables, boiler mountings, girders, locomotives, etc., and in fitting up improved hot water heating apparatus for churches, conservatories, and public institutions. An excellent repairing trade was done, repairs of all descriptions to colliery plant, weighing machines, engines, boilers, etc., being executed in a prompt and businesslike manner.
The firm also dealt in second-hand machinery and plant and in scrap metal and carrying out all kinds of forging and smith’s work. Messrs. Cudworth and Johnson avail themselves fully of every advantage, so that they could reduce their prices very considerably below the prices of other districts.
The business, although considerably enlarged, had by no means reached its full development and as there was a large demand for enterprise in the progressive district, there can be little doubt that the Eagle Foundry would go on to play a prominent part in the trade, not only in Wrexham, but throughout the whole of North Wales.
Sources: Wrexham Illustrated 1892; Wrexham Jubilee 1907.