50s

Clean Air Act of 1956

WREXHAM MAELOR BOROUGH COUNCIL CLEAN AIR ACT, 1956 The Borough of Wrexham Maelor (Area No. 4) Smoke Control Order 1976 Notice is hereby given that the Wrexham Maelor Borough Council in exercise of the powers [more]

1800s

The National Eisteddfod for 1876 at Wrexham

Page under construction – The long-anticipated Eisteddfod has passed into the domain of history, and, in fulfilment of our promise, we record some of its more prominent features and work. The pavilion, erected at a [more]

1800s

An account of Wrexham in 1833

WREXHAM, a market-town and parish and head of a union, chiefly in the hundred of BROMFIELD, county of DENBIGH, but partly in the hundred of MAELOR, county of FLINT, NORTH WALES, 24 miles (S. E. [more]

As it was!

Beyond the Beast Market

The streets off the Beast Market were home to a cluttered mix of housing, trade and industry. Behind Charles Street were the corporation’s original slaughterhouses, later replaced by new premises off Holt Road and the [more]

As it was!

New Wrexham Fairs

The northern side of Beast Market Street was still farmland when Norden made his survey in 1620. The town developed this way in the 17th and 18th centuries. The thatched building, with the dormer windows, [more]

As it was!

Wrexham Fire Brigade est. 1852

Fire was a major risk in all towns. The parish church was seriously damaged by fire in 1463 and Wrexham’s ‘great fire’ caused more damage in 1643. The first fire brigades were established in the [more]