As it was!

The Sykes of Croes Howell

Croes Howell Hall is known to date back to the 17th century and on a map dated 1631 there are plots  which belong to William Edward Howell, David ap Howell and Dorothy Howell, the medieval [more]

Mount Street

The Mount, Mount Street, Wrexham

Mount House was already in existence in 1699 when it was mentioned in Rate books as belonging to Ellis Lloyd Esq. of Pen y Lan. It was situated next to the Nags Head Inn and [more]

50s

Copperas Corner 1952

Jennifer Bland’s family has had a long association with Penycae.  In 1780 one ancestor owned Groes Hall, Maes y Pentre (Black Horse), Ysgubor Ucha, and later Groes Colliery. Jennifer kindly supplied this photo of Copperas [more]

1900s

Manure Causes Stink in 1907

An alleged nuisance in Watery Road caused heated arguments at the last meeting of the Health Committee. The Sanitary Inspector and Alderman Thomas Jones disagreed over whether keeping a cartload of horse manure below the [more]

As it was!

The Ney, Wrexham

Opposite the Wynnstay Arms is a new (ish) apartment development named Ney Court, it replaced the buildings that were taken down when one side of Yorke Street was demolished back in the 70s. The apartments [more]

Breweries

Albion Brewery, Wrexham

The earliest commercial brewery in the town is said to have been the Albion Brewery at the bottom of Town Hill and Bridge Street. The building in the photograph is the house, shop and gateway [more]