St Marys Church, Brymbo
Brymbo

St. Marys Church, Brymbo

In 1869 plans were set in motion for the building of a new church to replace St Johns’ Welsh church built in 1837 and consecrated on July 31st, 1838 but it was built on a [more]

1800s

St. Johns Parish Church, Rhos

St. Johns Parish Church, Rhos Church of St John Evangelist. A grade II listed building, built in 1852 and consecrated on 4 October 1853. A good example of a Romanesque Revival church, it is Norman [more]

Churches & Chapels

All Saints Church Penylan, Ruabon.

All Saints Church is located in the southern part of Ruabon parish and is the church of All Saints, generously provided for public worship by James Ormrod in 1889. The dark red sandstone for the [more]

Churches & Chapels

Plas Bennion Mission Church, Penycae/Ruabon.

Plas Bennion was once a mining community that stood between Wynn Hall and Plas Madoc on the newly established boundary of the parishes of Penycae and Ruabon. To make a religious provision for the fifty [more]

Wrexham Parish Church
1800s

Burglary at Wrexham Parish Church 1865

On the 31st July 1865, Hugh Pater, broke into St. Giles, the Wrexham Parish Church. Pater having entered the church, took three keys, broke into a money box and stole the money that it contained, [more]

Churches & Chapels

St. Deiniol Church, Worthenbury

The parish church of Worthenbury is St Deiniols.  The church is said to be the best example of a Georgian Church in Wales and has a complete set of boxed pews.  St. Deiniols is part of [more]

50s

Mount Pleasant, Ponciau. Annual Report 1950

Mount Pleasant, Ponciau. Annual Report 1950. Pastor D. Eric Evans writes the 1950 Mount Pleasant Baptist Church Annual Report retrospectively in 1951. It is a detailed account of church activities and expenditures in 1949 and [more]

John Thomas, Maelor View, Johnstown
1800s

John Thomas, Maelor View, Johnstown

In Memoriam – John Thomas, Maelor View, Johnstown. In 1912, exactly 105 years ago, Mount Pleasant Church Officer John Evans’ (Victoria Street, Rhos) crafts a beautiful eulogy on the passing of his departed spiritual ‘brother’ [more]

Erddig Hall Chapel
Places of Worship

Erddig Hall Chapel

Most large country house of Erddig’s age had their own chapel. The Erddig Chapel is first mentioned by John Loveday, a visitor to Erddig in 1726. He noted in his diary: ‘The Chapel is not [more]