Alfred Henry PARTON 1864 -1892

by Annette Edwards

The cemetery register has  the place of death as “ on the road near Plascoch “ the full story is tragic and  was reported in many newspapers.

SUICIDE AT WREXHAM.  The people of Wrexham were much excited on Wednesday by the report that a man had been found murdered near the Racecourse. The murder theory was soon dispelled when Inspector McLaren and P.C. T. Lee had investigated the case. It seems that early on Wednesday morning some colliers going to their work at the Wrexham and Acton Colliery, passed along the road leading near Plascoch Farm. At a short distance from the junction of the road with that leading to Mold, they were horrified to find the body of a man lying across the path, his feet to the hedge and his head, which was covered with blood, lying in the gutter.

16th April 1892 Wrexham Advertiser.

The men at once gave information to P.C. Lee, who had the body removed to the mortuary at the Wrexham Infirmary. When examined it was found that the deceased had a bullet wound behind the car, and upon a search being made in the snow which covered the scene of the tragedy, a powerful revolver was found, two chambers having been discharged, while four were still loaded. The weapon, which was of large size was, it is said, capable of carrying the heavy bullet for which it was suited, effectively for a long distance.

In the pockets of the man was found a letter which clearly indicated that he had died by his own hand. His name is Alfred Henry Parton, aged about 28 years. He came from Nantwich. It is stated that he was formerly a clerk in a stores in the town, but in consequence of a, report which was made by a superior, he resigned his post.

The gentleman who made the report is now in business in Wrexham, and on Tuesday was in his shop when he saw Parton pass his place of business several times. He presently came in, when he was kindly received, and was entertained to tea. While he was in the house, his actions and manner were decidedly strange, and his departure, considering the former relationship of the parties, came with a sense of relief.

 It was known that the deceased was in the habit of practising with a revolver at Nantwich, and the police have the idea that his presence in the shop, having the revolver with him, suggests that but for the kindness he received, he might have committed a rash act against the shopkeeper in question. It will be noted that two chambers of the weapon were discharged, one, of course, was the fatal one, but experts say that the other shot had been fired some days ago. Parton had only a few coppers upon him when the body was found.

THE INQUEST.  The inquest was held before Dr. Edward Davies, deputy-coroner, on Thursday morning, at the County Buildings. Mr David Davies, was foreman of the jury. Evidence was given by Mr John Thomas Dutton, grocer and provision dealer, 19, Penybryn, Wrexham, who identified the body, and stated that the deceased had tea with him on Tuesday evening, and left at about half-past six. Ishmael Roberts, collier, living in Garden-road, Rhosddu, said he found the body early on Wednesday morning and went for P.C. Lee. This officer stated that he found the body lying across the footpath near Plascoch Farm. It was covered, except the face, with about two inches of snow. He conveyed it to the mortuary at the Infirmary, where it was searched.

The following letter, amongst others, was found:—” Penybryn,  Wrexham, Tuesday. Good-bye. A. H. PARTON, 7, Victoria Buildings, Pall Mall, Nantwich.”

He afterwards found a six-chambered revolver, with two chambers discharged, on the road, about two feet from where the right hand of the deceased had been. One of the discharged chambers had been fired some considerable time before the other, for the cartridge was rusted in it. The jury returned a verdict to the effect that the deceased committed suicide while temporary insane. 

Early on Wednesday morning the body of a well- dressed man was found near Plas Coch Farm, a mile from Wrexham, partly covered with snow.  Police Constable Lea, on examining the body, first thought it a case of murder, deceased having a black eye and his face covered with blood. On closer examination, however, he discovered that the deceased  had shot himself with a six-chambered revolver,  which was subsequently discovered lying some  distance from the body. The deceased has been identified as Alfred Henry Parton, who had come  the day before from Nantwich to Wrexham.  It appears he had been employed as a clerk at the  Nantwich Co-operative Society’s Stores, but had  been discharged. The body was conveyed to the mortuary at the Wrexham Infirmary, and an inquest  will be held.

19th April 1892 Montgomery Express.

From another report it is found that Mr Dutton had formerly been the manager at the  Nantwich Co-operative Society’s Stores, and reading between the lines it was he who had discharged Alfred Henry.

In 1891 Alfred Henry had been lodging in 7 Victoria Buildings , Pall Mall, Nantwich. He was a grocer’s clerk, so had been there for quite a while. The head of the household was Elizabeth  Ratcliffe , a coach builders wife , also there were her 4 children.

Alfred Henry Parton was baptised on 30 October 1864 at Nantwich, he was the son of Henry Parton and Julia Buckley.  He had at least 5 siblings.

He was buried in a plot with 10 other people who died within 2 months.  Some died in the workhouse and others were just young children under the age of 2. Very sad.

Researched by Annette Edwards. August 2019.

Grave ref: Wrexham Cemetery A-00363

Total Page Visits: 795 - Today Page Visits: 2