Gatewen Colliery opened in 1877, the pit belonged to the Broughton and Plas Power Coal Company. In 1914 the number of men employed here was 816 (696 underground and 120 surface workers). The mine had [more]
Brynmally Colliery was sunk in 1770 and in 1849 was owned by Thomas Clayton and Co. The colliery was the property of Thomas Clayton with Mr. Frederick Hutchinson as the certificated manager of the Pendwill [more]
Bersham Colliery was a located near Rhostyllen. The mine accessed seams found in the Denbighshire Coalfield. 19th century When the colliery first opened it was named Glan-yr-afon Colliery. Operated by Bersham Coal Company, the first [more]
Coal Mining in Wrexham. WREXHAM’S industrial prosperity is founded largely on its mineral wealth and its coal resources in particular. The local story of coal mining goes back to the fifteenth century, although it was [more]
Minera Lead Mines Mining is believed to have started in the Minera area in medieval times, with shallow workings. Around 1710, larger scale working of the Main Vein and Red Vein, plus a number of [more]
Pupils at Ysgol Y Grango, Rhos having their work judged in 1973 School Eisteddfod. Source: NWN Media.
Christ’s Church (chapel) was built in 1890 in the centre of Johnstown opposite the former Johnstown Shell Garage. A school was built before the chapel in 1881. It was originally Congregational by denomination but the [more]